Monday, January 12, 2015

Ms. Chapin's Monkey Jungle of Excellence Week of January 12th-16th

Ms. Chapin's Monkey Jungle of Excellence for Week of January 12th-16th!!!

Our ELA learning goals are:

I can compare and contrast two similar texts.

I can identify the main topic/point of a multi paragraph text and details. 

I can identify text features within the text to better understand the text as a reader. 

I can ask and answer questions within the text to retell what is happening in the text.








Our Writing Goals:

I can create a compare/contrast essay on two texts.

I have a great understanding of the writing process.








Our Math Goals: 
I can fluently add and subtract up to 20.


I can fluently add and subtract within 100 using different strategies.

*We have our test on Wednesday on the first learning goal.
*On Wednesday, I will send a letter with different strategies we will be learning to add and subtract within 100s, so your child can practice these at home!!

Different strategies for adding and subtracting within 100:

1. Manipulatives (Base Ten blocks) for Place Value
2. Decompose/Breaking Apart (Making it Make Sense)

37 + 56=

37 + 3=40
       40 + 50=90      
       90+3= 93

 37 + 56=

 56 + 4=60
60 + 30=90
90 + 3=93

3.  Box Method/Partial Sum (Place Value Connection) 
4.  Standard Algorithm 

Practice these strategies with your child:-)

Our Science Goals:

I can identify the properties and states of matter.


Other important notes:


A note was sent home about our math program dream box.  It's a great way for students to practice the Second Grade Math skills.  They enter their lunch number for user name and password!!

Your child's spelling words are practice with ui/u-e.   I posted them on the classdojo website and also stapled the words in your child's planner.   We will also practice the igh and y(i) sounds this week!!!


Also, report cards were sent home this week!!! Please sign and return so I can start setting up conferences.


Please sign your child's planner every night and also any papers under return to school folder.


Please make sure your child is completing his/her homework every night, Reading and practicing his/her power goal for their Reading level.  I can't move students up when they have not been successful in their power goal.

Library Day is every Wednesday!! Please make sure your child has his/her library books on Wednesday!


  
  






No comments:

Post a Comment